NBC’s Lester Holt is out at Nightly News, the flagship show he has hosted for nearly a decade.
Holt, 65, announced he is stepping down in a memo sent to staffers Monday, ten years after he stepped in to replace longtime fixture Brian Williams on a full-time basis.
The veteran anchor will now only man his usual spot on Dateline, NBC News’ Executive Vice President of Programming Janelle Rodriguez said in a statement.
NBC – whose asset MSNBC just cancelled Joy Reid’s show The ReidOut – have yet to announce a replacement.
‘[Holt] will continue at the helm of Nightly until early summer,’ Rodriguez said, revealing how the anchor will then devote ‘his energy to the rapidly-expanding powerhouse that is Dateline.’
Holt – previously the host of the show’s weekend edition – began hosting Nightly News on weekdays in June of 2015, after a scandal surrounding reporting from the Iraq War upended Williams’ career.
He has since told staffers his time on the show was an ‘amazing ride’ – doing so in a letter sent to Nightly and Dateline staffers Monday morning.
The principal anchor of ‘Dateline’ since September 2011 did not mention the show’s waning ratings, which are down year-over-year.
Instead, he expressed excitement about ‘continuing as anchor of “Dateline NBC” for the first time ‘in a full time capacity’.

View gallery
NBC’s Lester Holt is out at Nightly News, the flagship show he has hosted for nearly a decade

Pictured, an excerpt from the Monday memo that Holt sent to his Nightly News and Dateline staff
‘I will be expanding my footprint on the broadcast and crafting ‘Dateline ‘hours on subjects I care deeply about,’ the anchor added, in a memo since re-shared by the company.
‘I am thrilled to be able to work more closely with my enormously talented friends at Dateline as the broadcast continues to grow and attract new viewers.’
Dateline is currently the 14th most popular show on NBC and is viewed by more than 2.3million people, but like most legacy media broadcasts as of late, is down drastically in terms of viewership when compared with years prior.
Just two years ago, the magazine-style program that’s regularly compared to CBS’s 60 Minutes or the PBS NewsHour had an average audience of more than 4million.
NBC Nightly News – currently behind evening news frontrunner ABC World News Tonight – is averaging 6.742 million total viewers, down one percent from this time last year.
The statistic, moreover, was recorded following some gains from the long-running program – which over the summer was subject to some double digit dips in total audience and in the hallowed 25-to-54-year-old demographic.
Back in July, the show was down 17 percent in total audience from the quarter before and 27 percent in the demographic most valued by advertisers, but has since managed to stop the bleeding.
However, a change in format already spawned a ratings crisis over at rival CBS – and Holt, for many viewers at home, has become a fixture.

Holt, 65, announced he is stepping down in a memo sent to staffers Monday, ten years after he stepped in to replace longtime fixture Brian Williams on a full-time basis

NBC – whose asset MSNBC just cancelled Joy Reid’s show The ReidOut – have yet to announce a replacement

A change in format already spawned a ratings crisis over at rival CBS. Pictured, Maurice DuBois and John Dickerson at the helm of a more magazine-style experiment since branded a failure
Asked about Nightly News’ future during an interview with Esquire in late 2023, the anchor conceded: ‘Yes, audiences are migrating. [But] how people consume us, that’s going to continue to change.
‘I have no idea how in seventy-five years,’ he added, after earning recognition stints on Today and MSNBC before that.
‘But Nightly News will exist.’
Meanwhile, still sitting in the wings is Senior National Correspondent Tom Llamas, whom for years now has been speculated to be Holt’s likely successor.
In 2021, insiders told Page Six how Llamas was ‘clearly being groomed for a big role’, and sources told the Ankler in November how higher-ups at the network would be happy to replace Holt with Llamas due to the latter’s comparatively modest salary of $2.5million.
It is unclear how much Holt was paid for Nightly News.
Holt’s contract expires this year, and Llamas has experience as an Evening News anchor thanks to time as a weekend host for ABC’s still-successful World News Tonight.
Holt scored the job thanks experience garnered under a similar role supplementing Williams, who himself was a figure once synonymous with American news.
A decade later, it seems a changing of the guard is in store, at a time where networks like CBS, MSNBC, and CNN are implementing change to address shifting consumer habits – and, perhaps, a new presidency.

Meanwhile, still sitting in the wings is Senior National Correspondent Tom Llamas, whom for years now has been speculated to be Holt’s likely successor. He also has evening news experience, once anchoring for ABC’s World News Tonight

In 2021, insiders told Page Six how Hamas was ‘clearly being groomed for a big role’, and sources told the Ankler in November how higher-ups at the network would be happy to replace Holt with Llamas due to the latter’s comparatively modest salary
‘Everything about our country has changed, except the language used to describe it,’ he wrote, after making a rare appearance on Late Night with Seth Meyers after Trump’s win in November.
‘The problem, of course, is that this language is lazy, numbing and normalizing in a time of urgency and exigency,’ he went on, at this point offering his piece’s de facto mission statement.
‘It’s actually insulting, and a gross disservice to those watching and listening – because it doesn’t match what they just saw or heard for themselves.’
‘It was crushing to watch so many working journalists attempt to generate the words to accurately describe a visibly struggling and diminished president, seemingly unable to complete a sentence or a thought in his disastrous and final debate.’
Not mentioning any names, the man who for years worked with the likes of Rachel Maddow, Joe Scarborough, and Mika Brzezinski went on to offer one last parting shot at those who refused to face the truth.
‘Say it with me: It is perhaps the ultimate irony that the electoral collapse of the Democratic Party in 2024 was triggered in large part by the man who ran to save the country and democracy – the same man who then tried to stay too long at the fair.
‘There, I said it,’ he added as sort of signoff. ‘Now someone please say it into a microphone. You can do it.’

Holt scored the job thanks experience garnered under a similar role supplementing Williams, who himself was a figure once synonymous with American news, before a scandal surrounding his reporting from the Iraq War upended his 11-year stint
For his final sign-off, the figure once synonymous with American airwaves told colleagues that ‘following much reflection,’ he was leaving the company.
‘This is the end of a chapter and the beginning of another,’ Williams upon being succeeded by Holt, after joining NBC News in 1993.
‘There are many things I want to do, and I’ll pop up again somewhere,’ he said, before fading into relative obscurity.
A few years before, in 2015, a scandal saw him thrust from the seat he assumed from the legendary Tom Brokaw in 2004, after he was caught lying about a wartime story.
Developing story, check back for updates.
News
The auditorium glitched into silence the moment Joel Osteen leaned toward the mic and delivered a line no pastor is supposed to say in public. Even the stage lights seemed to hesitate as his voice echoed out: “God will NEVER forgive you.” People froze mid-applause. Kid Rock’s head snapped up. And in that weird, suspended moment, the crowd realized something had just detonated off-script.
The crowd expected an inspiring evening of testimony, music, and conversation. What they got instead was one of the most explosive on-stage confrontations ever witnessed inside a church auditorium. It happened fast—36 seconds, to be exact.But those 36 seconds would…
The room stalled mid-breath the moment Mike Johnson snapped open a black folder that wasn’t on any official docket. Cameras zoomed. Staffers froze. The label on the cover — CLINTON: THE SERVER SAGA — hit like a siren. Johnson leaned toward the mic, voice sharpened enough to scratch glass, and read a line that made every timeline jolt: “Her email is criminal.”
Here’s the thing about made-for-TV government: it knows exactly when to hold a beat. Tuesday’s oversight hearing had the rhythm down cold—routine questioning, polite skirmishes, staffers passing notes like we’re all pretending this is not a stage. And then Mike…
🔥 “THE FLOOR SHOOK BEFORE ANYONE COULD SPEAK.” — Investigator Dane Bonaro didn’t walk into the chamber — he tore through it, slamming a blood-red binder onto the desk with a force that made the microphones hiss. The label on the cover froze the room mid-breath: “1.4 MILLION SHADOW BALLOTS.” He locked eyes with the council and snarled, “You want the truth? Start with this.” For one suspended second, every camera operator lifted their lens like they’d just smelled a political explosion.
Here’s a scene you’ve watched a hundred times if you’ve spent enough hours in hearing rooms and greenrooms: a witness with a flair for performance, a committee hungry for a moment, and a gallery of reporters quietly betting which line…
🔥 “THE SMILE FLICKERED—AND THE ENTIRE STUDIO FELT IT.” — Laura Jarrett walked onto the Saturday TODAY set with the kind of calm, polished glow producers dream of. Cameras glided, lights warmed, and the energy felt like a coronation. But right as she settled between Peter Alexander and Joe Fryer, something shifted — a tiny hesitation in her smile, the kind that makes everyone watching sit up a little straighter. And then it came: a voice from outside the studio, sharp enough to snap the broadcast in half. For a full second, no one moved.
Here’s the thing about TV milestones: they’re designed for easy applause. A new co-anchor takes the desk, the chyron beams, the studio lights do their soft-shoe, and everyone is on their best behavior. It’s a ritual as old as morning-show…
🔥 “THE ROOM STOPPED LIKE SOMEONE CUT THE OXYGEN.” — What’s racing across timelines right now isn’t framed as a speech, or an interview, or even a moment. It’s being told like a rupture — the instant Erika Kirk, normally armored in composure, let a single tear fall while standing beside Elon Musk. Witnesses in these viral retellings swear the tear didn’t look emotional… it looked inevitable, like something finally broke through her defenses. And when Musk turned toward her, the entire audience leaned in as if they already knew the world was about to shift.
It was billed as a calm forum on human rights—an hour for big ideas like freedom, transparency, and the obligations that come with having a public voice. The stage was washed in soft gold, the kind of lighting that flatters…
🔥 “THE ROOM WENT DEAD IN UNDER A SECOND.” — What unfolded inside the Senate chamber didn’t look like a hearing anymore — it looked like a trap snapping shut. Adam Schiff sat back with that confident half-smile, clutching a 2021 DOJ memo like it was the final move in a game he thought he’d already won. Staffers say he timed his line perfectly — “Your rhetoric ignores the facts, Senator. Time to face reality.” But instead of rattling Kennedy, something in the senator’s expression made even reporters lean forward, sensing the shift before anyone spoke again.
It didn’t look like much at first—another oversight hearing, another afternoon in a Senate chamber where the oxygen gets thinned out by procedure. Then Adam Schiff leaned into a microphone with a lawyer’s confidence, and John Neely Kennedy pulled out…
End of content
No more pages to load